Re: Problems with interpolating

Luca wrote:

> Hi! I have a problem:
> I need to interpolate some data.
> I tried to use both "Interpolation" and "InterpolatingFunction", but I
> didn't achieve my aim. I need both the interpolating equation and the
> interpolating function displayed on video .What is the difference
> between "Interpolating" and "Fit"?  Can anyone help me, please? Thank
> you, Luca

Interpolation is a piecewise interpolation of polynomials, by default of
order three.  Because it is piecewise, there is no single equation, but
a large set of equations each of which is valid over a small segment of
the data range.  You can see the full version by using FullForm or by
saving the interpolation function object to file and then looking at it
in a text editor.

Fit is a single polynomial of arbitrary order that fits the data points
of the entire data set.