In which interval?

I need to resolve the following problem:

Given N distinct real Intervals (x(i),x(i+1)); i=1,,,,N and a real
number R - in which interval is R located. In other words to identify
the unique value of i such that x(i)<=R<x(i+1). This is easy to do by
straight forward checking which value of the N i's which match the
inequalities. But this is very time-consuming when the number N is
large. Has anyone been confronted with this problem and resolved it
efficiently? I would highly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Pal Lillevold