Re: Default format for new cells

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13232] Re: Default format for new cells
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:17:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 13 Jul 1998, Sean Ross wrote:

> When I first installed mathematica, each cell by default would display
> the new 2-D notation like subscripts or superscripts if I used the
> basic input palette.  This is no longer the case.  I have to manually
> convert each cell to StandardForm to get it to display the 2-D format.
> I have searched through the option inspector to try and find the magic
> command, but it uses different names than the drop down menu uses.
> Could someone tell me how to put the default cell format back to its
> original in which each cell was already in standardform?

First thing I would check would be the setting on the front end menu

		Cell -> Default Input Format Type

Chances are, the behavior you describe would exist if this was set to
"InputForm" rather than "StandardForm".

The analog in the Option Inspector is:
	CommonDefaultFormatTypes -> {"Input" -> "StandardForm", ...}
> I renew my plea for full and complete Front End documentation either by
> Wolfram or a third party.  I want a manual that will tell me what all
> the options in the Options Inspector do and how to format headers with
> every single possible option mentioned and non-trivial examples.  I
> want to know what all those Value Display Objects are.  I also want all
> commands documented, such as ValueBox and &MenuItem (which is found in
> the .tr files in the System directory).  If anyone has written such a
> thing please tell me so I can buy it.

No such documentation exists as of yet.  Are there specfic settings that
you've had trouble understanding or getting to work as you would

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at Wolfram
Research, Inc.