Re: CPU times

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13345] Re: [mg13228] CPU times
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 02:50:01 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Your first problem is to find out what operating system You are using!
If You find out, that You are working with Windows 95 You are happy
because the time information of Win95 is broken and You need to do

On a unix system the times() function return a struct with the user,
total and cpu
time for the individual process. So in Your C++ code You can only get
the CPU
time that is spend by this process not the time the is spend by the
Mathematica kernel.
Mathematica's  Timing[] function returns the time of the kernel
evaluation and something like

  ... /* whats to be done by Mathematica */ /* waiting for the result */

/* Timing[] returns {time * Second, result }  */
  ... /* get Your result */

will work.

Hope that helps