Re: Re: Non-commutative algebra

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13365] Re: [mg13280] Re: Non-commutative algebra
  • From: MJE <evans.nospam at>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 02:50:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> external package. The only convenient mechanism would seem to be the one
> mentioned by David Withoff as a possible direction of future development:
> that is, one would want built in functions either to switch to
> non-commutative algorithms when applied to non-commutative expressions or at
> least do nothing, rather than  mess up everything, as they tend to do now.
> Andrzej

This is in fact the big difference between Wolfram-supported packages
and the rest of us.  When WRI makes a package, the kernel can change
along with it.  The rest of us can't pull that off.  For something as
fundamental as matrix math I would say, it's Wolfram's job.

I've looked at NCAlgebra before but in my case I don't recall that it
was explicitly a matrix package.  I need that.