Re: The "Users" directory under NT

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13404] Re: The "Users" directory under NT
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:32:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <6ournl$jg8 at>, su27k at writes:

|> I noticed that Mathematica 3.0 made a directory named "Users" under
|> Windows NT. I suppose it is used to store configuration stuffs for
|> different users. However, I already have directories for
user-specific |> information, so I wonder if there's a way to change
the default |> location of these configuration files? I checked the
preference, but |> can't find an option for it. Could someone help me
on this? Thanks.

The location of the directory can be controlled by the environment
variable MATHEMATICA_PREFERENCES, which specifies the path to the

Evaluate the following expression in a notebook to bring up relevant
online documentation:

  "File Layout (Windows)"]]

It will be under the subsection labeled "Front End."

You can change the environment variable via the System control panel.
See the Windows NT documentation for further info on how this is done.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at Wolfram Research,
Inc. Disclaimer: Opinions expressed
herein are those of the author alone.