file related trouble (unix)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13449] file related trouble (unix)
  • From: kesale at llnl.gov (Ken Sale)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 01:45:36 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

I have been running Mathematica 3.0 with the kernel on my HP unix box.
A function I use is computed by a program that runs on the HP, I use it
by having Mathematica Splice information into an input file, Run the
program, then Read the output file.  When I try to Plot the function
everything goes just as I expect it to for a while, then Mathematica is
no longer able to open the output file for the Splice function ( I get
a General::"noopen"  message).

If after this point I try to OpenWrite a new file, no problem, but
Splice still won't open the output file.  If I OpenWrite the file that
Splice will write to, no problem, then when I Splice I get a message
saying that Splice can't open its input file (the .mc file).

After spending some time trying to OpenWrite, OpenRead etc. files
eventually Mathematica gets into a state where FileNames[] and
SetDirectory[] won't work, giving messages like:  Directory::"dirx":
\:f3b5-- Message text not found -- (\!\(""\)).

If anybody has any experience or insight into how to prevent this file
system confusion or recovering from it I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Ken Sale
LLNL