Re: programming in Mathmatica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13468] Re: programming in Mathmatica
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 02:33:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

John M. Dlugosz wrote in message <6p6rtm$5me at>...
>Consider this function:
>(*1*) ackPrim[m_Integer, 0] := (
>(*2*) ++counter;
>(*3*) {result_,rc_ } -> cAck[m-1,1]; (*4*) { result, rc+1 }
>(*5*) );
>The function cAck returns a list of two items.  In Perl I write:
> my ($result, $rc) = cAck ($m-1, 1);

Set and  SetDelayed are listable, for example

{f[x_/;x>4],{g[y_],z}} = {1,{2/;y>3,{3}}};

The assingments stored are

?f g z
f[x_ /; x > 4] = 1
g[y_] = 2 /; y > 3
z = {3}

Similarly with SetDelayed (:=)

>Next, you see I'm using a list of two values.  For more complex
>programs,  such "structures" represented as lists would get a little
>awkward.  I can  imagine using access functions to pull the correct
>member of a list, so I  get the benifit of named structure members, and
>even creating an operator  for that which works similarly to the "dot"
>in Algol-decendent languages.   So, I assume people have done this
>already and there is a standard idiom  in circulation for it.  What is
>it, so I don't have to re-invent my own?
>=> What is the standard practice for using what other languages do with

Could you give some Mathematica examples of what you want to do please.

Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
hay at
voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198