Re: 3D graphs/coord. axes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12664] Re: [mg12651] 3D graphs/coord. axes
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:16:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Russell.E.Goodman wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> I have a quick question I'm sure someone knows the answer to:
>
> I'm plotting alot of 3D graphs for my class to look at but I don't want
> a box around the graph, I want to have the coordinate axes in their
> typical position.  i.e. like when you draw the x-y-z axes on a
> chalkboard, all eminating from the same point in 3-space.  Any help??
>
> Russ Goodman
> University of Oklahoma Mathematics
> rgoodman at ou.edu

One of the great tools in using Mathematica is ??.  ??Plot3D shows a
list of all possible options.  After playing around with a few of them,
I think the ones you are after are Boxed->False and
AxesEdge->{{-1,-1},{-1,-1},{-1,-1}} as in:

Plot3D[Sin[x+y^2],{x,-3,3},{y,-3,3},Boxed->False,
  AxesEdge->{{-1,-1},{-1,-1},{-1,-1}}]

The Axes Edge option is explained in section 2.9 of the mathematica
book.  Of course, the problem in having the axes all proceed from a
common point is that unless the graph is non colored and transparent,
it will block of the view of one of the axes.