Re: Displayed characters not matching typed characters (help!)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg12667] Re: Displayed characters not matching typed characters (help!)
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:16:41 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <6kpvtk$sjt at>, hello at (Rod Pinna)

|> Mathematica has decided to behave very strangely indeed. Upon
running |> it this morning, it has suddenly started to not display  the
correct |> characters.
|> For example typing { displays an 8, and other (seemingly) random  |>
replacements, though the particular characters are replaced by  the |>
same ones each time. This is version for Windows,  running on
|> NT4, with the kernel which has been fixed to stop  memory errors.

A discussion of the underlying reason for the character substitution
you're seeing has been posted here before.  Search the Deja News  old
article archive, using the following input for your search:

	~a(P.J. Hinton) ~s(key entry problems)

to pull up a brief explanation.

|> The replacements occur in both new notebooks, and existing ones  that
|> are loaded, but the error does *not* occur in any other  apps. |>
|> Two possibilities: the first is that I was editing the style  sheets,
|> but this did not occur directly after doing that.  Secondly, I tried
to |> load Publicon 0.9 onto the machine. I didn't  get this to
install, and |> subsequently uninstalled it. Again, it  Mathematica
*was* working |> normally after this.
|> I've also tried rebooting, to no avail. |>
|> Any suggestions? (I would like to avoid reinstalling, as it  involves
|> getting the support staff to do it, and they can be, um,  bloody
hard |> to get...)

Chances are that you've screwed up the Math font installation.  See the
FAQ page at URL for some remedies specific to Windows.

If the information there does not solve your problem, please let me

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at Wolfram Research,
Inc. Disclaimer: Opinions expressed
herein are those of the author alone.