Problems with mathlink (and TWJ_ExtendGraphics) (fwd)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg12698] Problems with mathlink (and TWJ_ExtendGraphics) (fwd)
  • From: Joel Cannon <cannon at>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 02:20:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am attempting to use use the mathlink binaries from Tom Wickham-Jones

I loaded down the newer packages from mathsource and am attempting to
use the Mandelbrot.nb package to test the use of the packages. I am
running V.3.0.2 on a Digital Alpha running DecUnix 4.0.

Following the instructions, I installed the packages as recommended in

When I load a packgage that does not use mathlink such as
"ExtendGraphics`LabelContour`" it loads fine indicating that there is
not a problem with $Path.

I execute the mcc command link found in the header of
Here is the compiler message:

# mcc -o mandelbrot
                typedef long double extended_ct;

It produces a file mandelbrot.

However, when inside the Mandelbrot notebook (or any other notebook), I
exectute the Needs["ExtendGraphics`Mandelbrot`"] I get the  error
message copied below:

Needs[ "ExtendGraphics`Mandelbrot`"]

    "\!\(LinkObject[\(\"ExtendGraphics`mandelbrot`\", 2, 2\)]\) is dead;
\ attempt to connect failed."

    "Installation of the MathLink binary mandelbrot failed.  The binary
must \ be found for the functions to work."

I noticed that in the xwindow from which mathematica was launched I get
the following messages:

sh: mandelbrot: not found
sh: ExtendGraphics: not found

Can anyone guess what the problem might be?  Thanks.

Joel W. Cannon                 |   (318)869-5160          Dept. of
Physics               |   (318)869-5026  FAX    Centenary College of
Louisiana |       P. O. Box 41188		       |
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188      |