Playing sound without displaying the graphic?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12814] Playing sound without displaying the graphic?
  • From: Jeffrey K Mackie-Mason <jmm at umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:05:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to use Mathematica to set up a demo of 12 Shepard tones.
(See Gray  and Glynn's _Exploring Mathematics with Mathematica_ for a
discussion.)   I'm creating a button palette with the 12 tones arrayed
in a rough ring  (it's ugly, but it works).  The problem is, each time
I play a tone, a  large block of output is created in the Notebook
front end (if it  matters, I'm using Mathematica on a Windows NT 4.0
machine).  When I play the  whole sequence of 12 tones, it means 12
blocks of wasted space, each  about 2 inches high in my configuration.
All I want is to hear the  tones, and not to have to delete lots of
useless output cells.

I can make the waveform graph stop displaying by setting the Prolog to
something, but the output cell is still generated.  I can't figure out
how to muck around with $SoundDisplayFunction or any of the related
internals.  Seems like I must be missing something obvious.  Is there
some way I can play tones without eating up Notebook real estate for
unneeded output cells?

---
Prof. Jeff MacKie-Mason     http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jmm/ Dept. of
Economics and School      internet:      jmm at umich.edu
   of Information
Univ. of Michigan                     phone:       313-647-4856 Ann
Arbor, MI 48109-1220                fax:       313-764-2475