error messages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg12866] error messages
  • From: Dustin <dsoodak at>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:28:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

(Mathematica 3.00, win95)

Since error messages in Mathematica are recursive, it isn't too uncommon
to get infinite recursion.  What this means is that the error message
has infinite length.  If not stopped quickly, it will continue printing
itself faster and faster until it takes up nearly all of my computer's
processing power.
   I can normally stop it in under a minute with rapid pressing of the
"abort evaluation" key.  Today, however, I came across one which would
not respond to the usual treatment so I pressed "control-alt-delete" to
shut down Mathematica.

  Mathematica refused to respond so I had to shut down the computer and
restart it.  Anyone know a way to prevent this?

dsoodak at