VC++ debugger, Mathematica interface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12996] VC++ debugger, Mathematica interface
  • From: "Barthelet, Luc" <lucb at ea.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:52:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Has anyone written C code to interface a large App written under C++ and
Mathematica?
Here is what I would like to do:

I have a large app in C++, I am in the cycle of "writting code,
compiling, running (f5) debugging"
At some point I wish I could transfer data structures to Mathemetica to
use mathematica to  check that things are all right. Using Visual C++
debugger I could call some of my C code and send structure to
mathematica. Currently I do it by saving the data to files, and having
Mathematica read it. It works, but I wished for a smarter interface,
like using mathLink.

I would rather avoid:
1) having to launch mathematica everytime I run 2) launching my app
through mathematica 3) Having to connect between the app and
mathematica through a dialog.

Also can the front end receive outputs without making request to the
kernel?
It would be cool to send directly print outs without having to type
anything in the front end.

So I am looking for: C code that will initiate or even launch on demand
mathematica or connect to the kernel on demand, without requiring user
interaction.
thanks.

Luc.
GM at Day, Mayor at night.