Protection against some Front end problems and crashes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12943] Protection against some Front end problems and crashes
  • From: "Barthelet, Luc" <lucb at ea.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:51:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As mentionned in a few messages recently it is not uncommon to make a
mistake and then get a huge output to be generated. When that happens,
one is either stuck for a long time or crashes.

A while back, support at Wolfram gave me this trick that I now have at
the top of any notebook manipulating large amount of data:

reallyBig[x_] := If[ByteCount[x] > 200000, "Too Large", x];
  $Post = reallyBig;

It will replace any "large" output by the string "Too Large". I cannot
count how many times this saved me. Hope it helps you too.

Experience as shown that 200000 enabled me to always see what I want.

Sincerely,

Luc Barthelet
GM at day, Mayor at Night
http://www.simcity.com