Re: Problems with mathlink (and TWJ_ExtendGraphics)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12947] Re: Problems with mathlink (and TWJ_ExtendGraphics)
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:51:41 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <6mqe86$3f5 at smc.vnet.net>, Joel Cannon
<cannon at alpha.centenary.edu> writes:

|> I am attempting to use use the mathlink binaries from Tom
Wickham-Jones |> book. Although everything seems to compile OK (one
warning) it still |> does not work. Hopefully someone can recognize
what I have overlooked.  |> Here is what I have done:

|> I loaded down the newer packages from mathsource and am attempting to
|> use the Mandelbrot.nb package to test the use of the packages. I am
|> running V.3.0.2 on a Digital Alpha running DecUnix 4.0D. |>
|> Following the instructions, I installed the packages as recommended
in |> /usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/Applications |>
|> # pwd
|> /usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/Applications/ExtendGraphics |>
|> I execute the mcc command link found in the header of mandelbrot.tm
|> (received a warning that appears insignificant concerning long
integers |> and the alpha's 64 bit words).

double extended_ct; |> ------------------------^

|> It produces a file mandelbrot.
|>
|> However, when inside the Mandelbrot notebook, I exectute the |>
Needs[ExtendGraphics`Mandelbrot` I get the  error message copied below:

|> In[1]:=
|> Needs[ "ExtendGraphics`Mandelbrot`"] |>
|> LinkConnect::"linkc":
|>     "\!\(LinkObject[\(\"ExtendGraphics`mandelbrot`\", 2, 2\)]\) is
dead; |> \ attempt to connect failed."

|> MandelbrotImage::"fail":
|>     "Installation of the MathLink binary mandelbrot failed.  The
binary |> must \ be found for the functions to work." |>
|> I noticed that in the xwindow from which mathematica was launched I
get |> the following messages:

|> sh: mandelbrot: not found
|> sh: ExtendGraphics: not found
|>
|> It appears that there may be a problem with path since both the |>
directory ExtendGraphics and the file mandelbrot (in ExtendGraphics) |>
are present. When I load a packgage that does not use mathlink such as
|> "ExtendGraphics`LabelContour`" it loads fine indicating that there
is |> not a problem with $Path.

|> Any suggestions people can give are greatly appreciated?  Thanks.

Try tacking on ".exe" to the MathLink executable filenames.

An obscure change for Install[] in version 3.0 (which is being called by
the ExtendGraphics`Mandelbrot` package) is mentioned in its reference
guide entry.

| Install["name`"] searches all directories on $Path for a file or  |
directory called name.exe.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,