Re: Split in Mathematica 2.2/ $MaxRecursion crash

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg12979] Re: Split in Mathematica 2.2/ $MaxRecursion crash
  • From: weber at (Matthias Weber)
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:52:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I can confirm the slow behaviour of Split on a PowerMac 6100/66 (which
has a 601 PPC, vm turned on) reported recently here, and the correct
fast behaviour on an Irix.

One of the proposed
user-implemented alternatives however is even crashing my Mac:

split2[li_,fQ_:SameQ]:=Module[{liLength,index,i},liLength=Length at li;
(Head at li)@@((Take[li,#]&)/@(

This being highly recursive, to execute (say)

w = Table[Random[Integer], {10000}]; split2[w];//Timing

I need to increase

This works on our Irix but crashes my poor little Mac (Bus error...,
restart required) after one error message  $RecursionLimit::"reclim":
with a lower $RecursionLimit, I either get the usual bunch of error
messages or just one of them, and the Mac crashes. Enjoy.

Matthias Weber