algebraic solutions

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11193] algebraic solutions
  • From: Daniel Teitelbaum <dt2m+@andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:10:49 -0500

Hi all,

I'm a fairly novice Mathematica user, and I'm having a problem.  I asked
a more experienced user and he could solve it, either.  I hope there is
a solution and that you all can help.

I want to find the roots of the following equation:

    z^5  + 2z^3 - p + 1 = 0

I want to solve for z in terms of p.  Now, if I pick some random number
for p, I can get mathematica to solve for z, but I cant get a solution
in terms of p.  Alternatively, I would like to be able to plot this
function with p included as part of the vertical axis.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Daniel