Copying from Excel 97

Hi,

When I try copying a block of values from Excel 97 to Mathematica3 I get
a list of numbers with the first entry of each row running together
with the last number from the previous row.  As a result I have to
manually enter spaces between the numbers.

For instance, given the following block of numbers in Excel (each in
different cells):

    1    2   3
    4    5   6
    7    8   9

If I copied the block and paste it into Mathematica then I would get...

1 2 34 5 67 8 9

After which I would have to edit the entry with separators.

{1, 2, 3,4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9}

For this case it was easy, but for large blocks of number this gets
somewhat confusing.
How do I prevent Mathematica or Excel from forcing numbers to run
together?

Thanks,
Lawrence