Long movies

Presently I make as many Postscript frames as my storage medium will
hold, and convert them to QuickTime in batches that will fit into my
RAM.  This involves several user interventions  during the production
of a long movie ( say 1000 frames).

Thinking it would be better to store the individual frames in QuickTime
originally, or another relatively compressed form that could be later
joined into a QT movie, I used  the Display command to convert frames
to various output formats. Only PICT was accepted by QT, and with much
degraded image quality.

What have others done to facilitate the production of long movies?

I'm using v3.01 on a Mac.

Thanks,

Bill Marks