Re: Mathematica frustrations...

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11246] Re: Mathematica frustrations...
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul@physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 01:39:10 -0500

Carlos A. Felippa wrote:

> The use of % is a legacy from the original In-Out days of interactive
> command languages like Basic or Unix. It makes no sense for a Notebook
> front end.

A Notebook with sensible application of % (and sometimes %% or %%%) can
be used very profitably as a type of fancy spreadsheet.   Also, this is
often easier to follow (and construct) than a set of procedures.

> Notebooks are best organized in a procedural style, as
> collections of modules.

This is certainly a matter of opinion.  I use Modules when they are
required.

> What is still lacking in Mathematica is the
> ability to compile modules and complete cells to machine language and
> to form a relocatable object library that can be loaded and executed at
> high speed.  This will have to wait until (1) a typing system  is
> introduced, and (2) all module symbols are made local by default and
> placed in dynamic stacks.

Agreed -- but have you used DumpSave in 3.0?  It goes some way towards
this.

> In fact it might be useful to get rid altogether of the In[ ] and Out[ ]
> that still clutter cell boundaries since the numbers that appear
> therein serve no useful purpose.

But you can switch off In[ ] and Out[ ] (under the Kernel menu).

Cheers,
	Paul
The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul@physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player