Re: Exporting Graphics

Joel Bock wrote:

> Dear MathGroup:
>
> Without question, Mathematica is the greatest thing since sliced bread
> for doing modeling, data analysis and visualization.
>
> For all of its capability, I'm finding that something as fundamental as
> exporting graphics for use in other applications (e.g., Word documents)
> is really a pain. Is there any way to get true WYSIWYG plots saved to
> disk that can subsequently be imported into a non-Mathematica document
> without loss of resolution, bizarre resizings, mysterious font
> substitutions, etc.?
>
> The closest I came to reproducing the exquisite appearance of notebook
> plots was to do "File: Print Selection"...unfortunately, there is the
> embedded header with the notebook name attached to the plot. I can deal
> with white-out on the header, and photocopying the printed output, but
> it seems like there must be a better way.
>
> How do others in the MathGroup deal with this problem? Any and all
> suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

I use Mathematica 3.0.1 on a Win95 PC. I have had good luck with setting
the screen magnification to 100% and right-clicking on the graphic and
choosing save as:metafile.  The windows metafile format can be imported
directly into MS Word with no filter required and a minimum of
weirdness.  One problem is with using the math1 monotype fonts that
come with mathematica.  Some programs don't like them and don't seem to
be able to figure out where they are even though they are installed
normally just like any other font.  I usually specify the fonts in my
graphics to be Times New Roman or Arial.

Every once in a while, I get a "cursed" graphic that rotates fonts or
changes all its letter to greek when imported into PowerPoint or won't
print color in Adobe Acrobat, but these are few and far between and can
usually be cured by re-generating the graphic and saving again.

The exception to this is MS Powerpoint 5.0(for win3.1) and 6.0 (for
Win95).  Most mathematica generated windows metafiles either crash
these programs or cause all fonts to turn to greek.  Ms Powerpoint 97
has not shown these problems so far.  I suspect the problem is not with
Mathematica, but with powerpoint.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.