About 3Dplot....

I have a certain function with two ind. variables  ( f(x,y) ) and I want
a plot of it.
The problem is that the form of the function varies according to the
values of
the ind. variables.
This is easily determined, if we have a function like : f(x) ,using the
command which. The same command can be used for functions containing
more than one ind. variable?
If not, how can I state this function in Mathematica , in order to have
a plot of it or
to  find substationary points (local minimum) I'm working on problems of
nonconvex optimazation.

Thank you
..a student from Greece.