Re: Introducing: Conix 3D Explorer!

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11540] Re: Introducing: Conix 3D Explorer!
  • From: weber@math.uni-bonn.de (Matthias Weber)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:55:56 -0500

In article <6eacvd$o2e$9@dragonfly.wolfram.com>, SChandler
<SChandler@uh.edu> wrote:

> I have been using this product for about a week and agree completely.
> This is
> a terrific add on for Mathematica. It has so far proved quite reliable
> on my NT platform and the documentation is excellent. The program has a
> Mathematica flavor -- it is not just some port from existing graphics
code. Conix
> has answered my tech support questions promptly and fully. I agree with
> Mr. Barthelet that Wolfram should investigate integrating the
> capabilities of this program into its front end, although there may
> be some virtue in having pluralist graphics models that suit differing needs.

I can only agree concerning the quality of the GLExplorer.  I have
$DisplayFunction=GLShow in my init file which allows me to run a much
smaller front end now, because the explorer renders with less memory
(and faster).  The graphics are more flexible, and interactive. Enough
of praise.

However, I do not agree that Wolfram should integrate the explorer into
Mathematica. This would make Mathematica (3.5? 4.0?) way more expensive
again (at least if Conix charges them the right price). There are
certainly many people who would say 'who cares?',  but there are also
other people.
Our department had not enough money to buy all the nice math software
available, so we decided to buy only a small number of Mathematica
licenses -- not enough to use it in classes. Selling a product and
counting on that there are enough people who just have to buy it is
very similar to the pricing philosophy of scientific journals. But (not
only) Wolfram should be aware of the fact that a lot of input for
mathmatical improvements comes from academia (which has a relatively
low budget).

It would be very helpful for us
if Mathematica came as a robust kernel & front end with many
'enhancements' which one could buy when needed. It is certainly true
that one of Mathematica's advantages lies in the fact that it combines
all it abilities into one huge environment. But, for instance, I am not
using the statistical functions or the sound capabilities. So there
could be a very small (cheap) version of which one could buy lots of
licenses, and smaller number of licenses for the add-ons. It would also
help to develop Mathematica more safely. The current version has so
many bugs that I sometimes have to switch back to Mathematica 2.2 to
get the correct result. I would really like to have the old Integrate
funtion somewhere in Mathematica 3.0 as "Integrate2", just to be on the
save side.

So please, keep Mathematica small and reliable and don't charge the user
for too fancy and buggy features.

Matthias Weber