NotebookCovert

I've been having some trouble opening my old v2.2 files with v3.0. A few
times Mathematica brought up a dialog box which asked if and how I
wanted the conversion done. Most of the time it just creates a notebook
with a very large, unreadable cell. I have tried using NotebookConvert
as described in the Help, but either I have my syntax wrong or this
function doesn't work on the Mac frontend. Is there some Option that
I've inadvertantly set that causes Mathematica to skip conversion? Can
someone give me an example of a NotebookConvert command that they know
works?

Thanks!

James

--