Re: what is wrong here?

As a follow up to my own posting, what I found was:

Let matrix be a 8x8 matrix, say with all elements being "a". Let temp be
a 4x4 matrix, with all elements being "b".

Then, the following command:

matrix[[{3,4,7,8},{3,4,7,8}]] =
matrix[[{3,4,7,8},{3,4,7,8}]] + temp

crashes the kernel of Mathematica3.0 running on Nextstep/Intel and
WinNT4.0 but gives correct result on a Dec Alpha machine running
Digital Unix.

--
Jagannatha Rao				E-mail:rao@uh.edu
Associate Professor