Matrix manipulation

Hi everyone!

I'm running Mathematica 3.1.x on Windoze 95.  Here's a simple question
that has been bothering me recently.

Suppose I define:

a={{1,2},{3,4}};

In this case,

Inverse[a]

gives back the expected result

{{-2,1},{3/2,-1/2}}

However, suppose I now define

b=a//MatrixForm

and now type

Inverse[b]

I *don't* get back any answer as before, but just my input

Inverse[(2 3)]
       [(4 5)]

(The above is supposed to be a matrix!).  Anyways, why is this?!?  Other
operations also fail to work in the same manner, such as Det,
Transpose, Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors, etc.

Is this a bug with Mathematica's front end?  Any help with this would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike