Mathematica 3.0 Palette for Physics SI Fundamental Constants

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12311] Mathematica 3.0 Palette for Physics SI Fundamental Constants
  • From: silver1@inreach.com (Silver Jones)
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 18:51:53 -0400

I have been constructing a custom palette which has about 100
fundamental constants for physics.  What I thought would be a 2 or 3
hour task has turned out to be a much larger project.  I wanted to set
up the symbols for the constants to be as close to actual
mathematical/physics expression as possible.  The purpose of the
palette is to allow you to enter c for instance for the speed of light
with appropriate units.

example

c = 2.997925010*10 E8 m/s

You would enter c from the palette. When the expression was evaluated in
a formula the numerical value would be used with appropriate unit
extensions.  The solutions would have numerical output with appropriate
unit extensions.

I have encountered a the following problems:

1.  I immediatly ran into the problem of protected symbols.  I had to
find symbols which were as close to the correct symbols as possible
instead of the actual symbol which was often protected, or had already
been assigned in my own constants and therefore could not be assigned
again.  This prevented pure mathematical representation.

2.  I created a notebook and assigned all the symbols their numerical
values - example - c = 2.997925010 E8 m/s.

3.  I then created a palette and placed all the symbols for each
evaluated inputs on the palette.  The palette worked perfectly until I
saved it.  After saving it, the palette worked to place the symbols in
any new notebook, but no longer kept the assignment values from the
original notebook it had been constructed in.  Have I missed some
special way that the palette must be saved?  Or was the addition of
palettes in 3.0 never intended for this purpose?  I have tried
evaluating the palette after I open it, but this does not provide the
assigned values.  If there is no way to save the palette that will also
save the assigned values, I would apprecaite  being informed of this.
If there is no option to save it that will work as a stand alone
palette, the only option I can think of is to keep the palette within
the notebook that has the assigned values.  Is this the only option
avialable that will work?

If anyone else has attmepted this and can provide some input, it would
be very appreciated.  I debated about trying to get the symbols closer
to actual mathematical/physics representation by unprotecting symbols I
wanted to use, but I considered it a real trade off with regard to the
extra input needed and the possibilities of conflicts with Mathematica
built in protected symbols.  If anyone attempted a palette utilizing
unprotected "protected symbols", I would like to know how this worked
out.  If one could acheive exact mathematical notation, it would
certainly be and advantage.  The representations I have managed to come
up with are close enough so as not to provide confusion, but would not
be close enough for formal publications.  As an example I was unable to
use h/e.  I had to use h\e because / is protected.

I anyone knows of a web site that publishes the most current
experimental values for the fundamental constants I would also
appreciate hearing about this.

Comments can be addressed to the group, or via email.

email - silver1@inreach.com

Thank you,

Silver Jones