Re: swap usage

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12395] Re: swap usage
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:15:06 -0400
On 10 May 1998, Arturas Acus wrote:

> Recently I have made some lenghty calculations  on Win95 (P166MHz) with
> 32Mb RAM and 300Mb swap.
>
> Calculations sometimes used up to 240Mb. (when tested with
> MaxMemoryUsed[]) Everything was fine with functions like ExpToTrig,
> Expand, TrigToExp, Factor,  etc., but not with Simplify or
> FullSimplify. It looks for me that this two functions can not use  swap
> at all and exits with "Out of memory" message when all physical memory
> (32Mb is loaded). If stated abov is true, then it would be interesting
> to know all functions which can not use swap in order to save time.

The spurious "Out of memory" messages that you see are not due to any
inherent inability to use swap space.  It is more likely that they are
due to a different problem altogether.  You may want to consult the
Technical Support FAQ page at URL:

  http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Windows/OutOfMemory.html

for a free, downloadable patch that may fix the problems you're
encountering.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram