Kernal parameters for Mathematica 3.0 [TS 9868]-

3.0 bombs on startup on my Digital Alpha 3000-400 running DecUnix 4.0D.
I get the following error message:

Stack overflow: pid 11670, proc MathKernel, addr 0x11fdffec0, pc
0x120ef16b8
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

If I run the program as root, it seems to work (although I did notice
emacs, netscape and other programs mysteriously bombing) after starting
it up.

At the moment I have mathematica support telling me to consult with DEC
("its probably a memory setting") and Digital telling me that they
can't help me until I  get the "kernal parameters" from Wolfram
Research.  The mathematica support person apparently did not understand
what was meant by the kernal parameters (and neither do I).

Could someone give me reasonable kernal parameters (or reasonable
questions to ask Digital or wolfram if there is something else needed).
Since I am normally the only person using this computer, I want the
settings as generous as possible if these will reduce the chances of
mathematica bombing during a calculation.

Since I am not a system administrator and don't have  support staff
seeminly simple things like this can be quite daunting to me.

Thanks,

Joel W. Cannon                 |   (318)869-5160          Dept. of
Physics               |   (318)869-5026  FAX    Centenary College of
Louisiana |       P. O. Box 41188		       |
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188      |