Problem with Mathematica 2.2 reinstall on W95 machine

Hi,

We have problems with reinstalling Mathematica 2.2 on a Windows 95
machine.

If we start the installation program, The following message appears:

You do not have enough extended memory to run Mathematica Esc to quit.

With the MEM command, I get the following numbers:

Conv. mem 640/free 572
Upper mem 0/free 0
Reserved 384/free 0
XMS 48128/free 48516   (how can there be more free than there is?? must
be a typo)

It does not matter if I reboot the machine into DOS from Win95, or use
F8 and boot command promt only or start installation via a shortcut
(tried with various settings)

We both tried the disks (3.5") of version 2.0 and the upgrade to 2.2,
neither works.

It did run on another system (not the current one), but this one
crashed. Of the current system, we did a clean Win95 install before
starting the Mathematica install routines.

The machine is a Pentium 120, 48 MB memory Hdd C used 317 MB, free 1.19
GB
Hdd D used 261 MB, free 2.68 GB
Both FAT32 formatted
OS: WIN 95 4.00.950B
VGA card: S3 Vision968, 4 MB memory
CR-Rom: Toshiba IDE

Please reply by e-mail, as I am not a very regular visitor of this
discussion group.

--
Rene A. Bolt
Twente University