Re: spaces in notebook

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14600] Re: spaces in notebook
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 01:51:08 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

David Wright wrote in message <719fpu$ldj at>...
>Even when using a monospaced font for input in the mathematica notebook
>interface, the width of a space (" ") is not equal to the width of the
>other characters.  This is apparently not a problem of the font, as the
>width of a space is properly the same as that of other characters when
>the font is used in other applications.  This behaviour is most
>annoying and makes for reduced legibility; is there any way to fix it?
>I am using the notebook interface of Mathematica 3.0 for Macintosh.

Choosing  Cell | Default Input Format Type | InputForm

makes spaces the same width as other characters; but using Cell |
Convert To will remove "superfluous" spaces; and conversion to
InputForm will replace some spaces with *.

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
hay at
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198