EPS file generation, that's compatible with GhostView, and includes all fonts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14629] EPS file generation, that's compatible with GhostView, and includes all fonts
  • From: "noname" <none at nowhere>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:46:59 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there!

I guess, I was not the only one, having this EPS file problem: Trying to
include EPS files into a LaTeX document messed up the whole page, it
did not print out as it would from Mathematica, etc.

The problem, as mentioned on Wolfram's homepage, is due to the fact,
that Matematica does not include the Type-1 fonts in the EPS file.

I have found a solution to that problem, but it is requirering the Adobe
Acrobat software package:

1. From within Mathematica select the Graphics or Formulas you want to
convert to EPS.

2. Print it into a PDF file, using the Adobe PDF writer. This ensures,
that the fonts are beeing included. It turned out that using
"Display["file",graphics,"EPS"] does not work the same way as the PDF
writer does.

3. Open the PDF file with Acrobat Exchange or Acrobat Reader.

4. Print the file into a EPS file using the Acrobat Distiller PPD
(postscript printer description).

5. Open the EPS file with GhostView, and convert it to EPS. This will
recalculate the bounding box, but the rest of the file will be the
same.

Now the EPS file can be included into LaTeX using epsfig, for example.

The software I used was the following: Mathematica 3.01, AdobeAcrobat
3.01, GhostView 2.3 (GhostScript 5.03).

If anybody can come up with a easier solution, maybe not requireing the
Adobe Acrobat, I would appreciate getting the trick :-).

Greetings

Marcus Heidkamp
University of Texas at Austin
Department of Physics