better understanding of rules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14848] better understanding of rules
  • From: "Barthelet, Luc" <lucb at ea.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:16:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am using "transformation rules" not in Mathematica but in the
development of SimCity 3000 for the creation of the networks like roads
and highways ( I'll provide more details on that in the near future, as
it is a lot of fun and I am using Mathematica to build the rules )
anyway, I am looking for information on how the transformation rules
are applied in Mathematica.  Is there a good place to get details?

Although it is now a closed issue, I would like to formalize my process
and improve it for the next time around.

Here are some of the issues:

- How do I need to think about the rules to make sure I am not getting
into an infinite loop?
- How should I prioritize rules to be applied? - Is there a way to think
about rules that makes it obvious when adding a rule will disable
another one.
- any discussion on performance.

I hope there is a formal discussion on this somewhere...

Thanks.

Luc Barthelet