  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14360] loading packages-followup
  • From: sean_ross_at_pl-04m3 at
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:29:01 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

     This is in response to my earlier question about why packages I
     wouldn't load.  The answer is that code written in the 3.0.1
     and Saved As Special:Package Format is commented out in the save
     routine, thus all packages written in the front end and saved in
     appears to be the intended manner have an extra (* at the front of
     file and an extra *) at the end, effectively disabling the code.
     you remove these in a text editor, the package can be read in and
     everything loads just fine.  I now have two more questions related
     1) is this placing of extra (* and *) in packages by the
     SaveAsSpecial:Package Format a "feature" or a "bug"?
     2) The kernel knows to search the \ProgrammingInMathematica and the

     \Utilities subdirectories of the ExtraPackages folder.  If I put my

     own subdirectory in the ExtraPackages folder, the Kernel does not
     search there.  Why?  I got around it by appending the path to the
     $Path variable in the init.m, but I am still curious as to how the
     Kernel knew it was supposed to search only those two subdirectories

     but wouldn't search mine even though none of them was listed
     explicitly in the $Path.
     Please respond to rosss at or seanross at as
     no longer subscribe to the mathgroup.
     Sean Ross