Re: LightSources

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14474] Re: [mg14440] LightSources
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:58:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Maarten,

at first, if You need a rotated object (model coordinates) in fixed
world coordinates (where ViewPoint & LightSources are) You may use the
Graphics`Shapes package with its the RotateShape[] function.

Tom Wickham-Jones ("Mathematica Graphics ...") has a function
ViewPointFromUser[], ViewPointToUser[] in the packages of its book
(View3D.m package) that convert between the model and the world
coordinates. I expect that you can use the same functions to convert
the light positions. You may find the package on MathSource .

My book has a similar function for the calculation of line colors in
of the ViewPoint distance. You may find the informations about the book
at .

Finaly my MathGL3d program let You rotate/spin the 3d object with fixed
light sources (Menu or Spin, Rotate) You may find the program on my

with binaries for MS-Windows, Linux and Solaris. There You can find the
1.2 Version. The 2.0 Version is finished and will be available next
week for all systems.

Hope that helps