MathFonts with MiKTeX 1.11 and Win32

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13867] MathFonts with MiKTeX 1.11 and Win32
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at linmpi.mpg.de>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 01:31:01 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear TeX & Matheamtica users,

I just try my virtual TeX fonts with MiKTeX 1.11. The 1.11 version of
MiKTeX comes with a unix like ps2pk program that converts type 1 fonts
into pk fonts. For the preview  an ordinary dvi-viewer can now be used
instead of dvips & ghostview.

The good news are:
dvips works fine when the path to the Mathematica fonts is set in the
miktex.ini [dvips] section and the file name database is updated with
texmf\miktex\config\configure --update-fndb

I found some problems with ps2pk
a) some older versions of the PostScript fonts let crash ps2pk with a
NotScalabel error.
    I fixed this by replace the type 1 fonts of my Windows Mathematica
3.0.1 installation
   by the latest type 1 fonts that come with Mathematica 3.0.2 for unix.
  configure --mkpsres --search
  and or
  adding the path to the Mathematica fonts to the [ps2pk] section of the
miktex.ini file
  works.
b) with the new Mathematica type 1 fonts the
    Math<i>, MathMono<i>  fonts where translated correctly into pk fonts
and
    dvi-previewer yap display the fonts correctly. So texts with normal
mathematical
   type setting are show correctly.
c) the translation fails for all "-Bold" name fonts. I think that is a
small bug in the
    ps2pk program that has some trouble with the "-" sign in the font
name. I contacted
   Christian Schenk and hope that he will change that

I will give more hints when I get an answer form Christian.

Regards
  Jens

page: http://www.mpae.gwdg.de/~kuska      |