Scoped variables

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13898] Scoped variables
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 02:55:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Consider the lines below.  You get nothing very interesting at Out[1].

{a_->x^2,  x_->x^2,  x_}//InputForm

It works a little different if you do the same thing inside With (see

With[{x=7},{a_->x^2,  x_->x^2,  x_}]//InputForm

{a$_ -> 49,  x_ -> 4,  Pattern[7, _]}

I understand there were extensive discussions on this sort of thing in
this group in recent years.  However, I can't find anything, mostly
because I haven't figured out how to use the MathGroup search engine.
Anyway I figured some members would still be  interested.

Ted Ersek