Re: Compiled programs

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14147] Re: [mg14111] Compiled programs
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:57:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Miguel,

at first keep in mind Mathematica is a computer algebra system. Its
power are symbolic computations not numerical ones.

If have written a book about Mathematica & C and I can tell You that the
speed gain is a factor 10 for Mathematica Code to compiled Mathematica
and again a factor of 10 from compiled Mathematica code to a MathLink
The last value depends on the
- ratio of I/O values to operations
- the operating system
- the overhead of the data

Typical I found a speed up of a factor 100 and more when I use a
MathLink program
instead of pure Mathematica code.

If You have to calculate a single function, that takes one value and
returns one value
You can have s slow MathLink program when You only implement x+1,
because the overhead to tansfer the data will eat up all speed, and You
can have a fast MathLink
program when You have to perform some hundered operations with the data.

Hope that helps