Re: Re: Eigenvalue Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16965] Re: [mg16908] Re: [mg16894] Eigenvalue Problem
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:32:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to add a little clarification to my earlier reply and
consider your example more carefully. The main point is that an algebraic
expression  containing radicals which "looks real" may not actually take
real values, and conversely, such an expression that "looks" complex may
actually be real. This is mathematically unavoidable, and not just a
Mathematica problem (as I might have inadvertently suggested in my
previous reply).

Consider for example the very well known case of the roots of the cubic
equation:

In[57]:=
Solve[x^3+b*x+c==0,x]
Out[57]=
                        1/3                                       3
 2  1/3
                       2    b                  (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])
{{x -> -(----------------------------------) + ----------------------------------},
                            3        2  1/3                     1/3
         (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])                     3 2
                  (1 + I Sqrt[3]) b
 {x -> --------------------------------------- -
        2/3                    3        2  1/3
       2    (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])
                                    3        2  1/3
 (1 - I Sqrt[3]) (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])
 --------------------------------------------------},
                          1/3
                       6 2
                  (1 - I Sqrt[3]) b
 {x -> --------------------------------------- -
        2/3                    3        2  1/3
       2    (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])
                                    3        2  1/3
 (1 + I Sqrt[3]) (-27 c + Sqrt[108 b  + 729 c ])
 --------------------------------------------------}}
                          1/3
                       6 2

We know that one of the roots is always going to be real. Although the
expression for the first root does not contain I, in fact it is not true
that it represents the real root for all values of b and c.  For example
for b=-1, c=2 the first root is complex while the second is real, while
for b=3, c=2 it is the other way round.

Your case is  similar. Let

l=Eigenvalues[m];

Let's consider the third eigenvalue

In[3]:=
v = l[[3]]
Out[3]=
                        2      2      2
((1 + I Sqrt[3]) (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c )) /
     2/3                 2    2      2
 (3 2    Power[54 a (80 a  + b  - 5 c ) +
            2      2    2      2 2            2      2      2 3
 Sqrt[2916 a  (80 a  + b  - 5 c )  + 4 (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c ) ], 1/3]) -
   1                                    2    2      2
 ------ (1 - I Sqrt[3]) Power[54 a (80 a  + b  - 5 c ) +
    1/3
 6 2
            2      2    2      2 2            2      2      2 3
 Sqrt[2916 a  (80 a  + b  - 5 c )  + 4 (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c ) ], 1/3]

This expression looks complex but we know it must always take real values
because the matrix is symmetric.  Looking at it more closely we see that
the expression is a sum g1+g2 of two subexpressions:
In[4]:=
g1=v[[1]];g2=v[[2]];

We know that g1+g2 must be real, because it is the eigenvalue of a
symmetric matrix. But we can also check that the product g1*g2 is also real:
In[5]:=
Simplify[g1*g2]
Out[5]=
1      2    2    2
- (84 a  + b  + c )
3

Now, it is very easy to show that if for two complex numers both their
sum and products are real, then these numbers must be either both real or
they must be conjugate complex numbers. So we see that Mathematica gives
the eigenvalue as the sum of two conjugate complex expressions.

Next, the second eigenvalue looks , more "real", for the expression which
Mathematica gives contains no I's:

In[6]:=
l[[2]]
Out[6]=
    1/3        2      2      2
-((2    (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c )) /
                    2    2      2
 (3 Power[54 a (80 a  + b  - 5 c ) +
            2      2    2      2 2
 Sqrt[2916 a  (80 a  + b  - 5 c )  +
          2      2      2 3
 4 (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c ) ], 1/3])) +
   1                    2    2      2
 ------ Power[54 a (80 a  + b  - 5 c ) +
    1/3
 3 2
            2      2    2      2 2
 Sqrt[2916 a  (80 a  + b  - 5 c )  +
          2      2      2 3
 4 (-252 a  - 3 b  - 3 c ) ], 1/3]

But actually the difference is only an illusion! In fact the situation is
just as the previous one: this eigen-value is also the sum of two
conjugate complex expressions (with the same magnitude as in previous case).

I hope this makes the situation clearer.