Re: question about entering vectors by the keyboard

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16963] Re: question about entering vectors by the keyboard
  • From: "David P. Johnson" <johnson at ae.msstate.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:32:53 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well, perhaps not obtuse. You simply misunderstand my question. I want
to be able to hit a button or something that gives me a blank vector
already in matrix form. Like this:

(_)
(_)
(_)

I then want to be able to fill it with whatever:

(a)
(b)
(c)

and evaluate it.

I want the result to be {a,b,c}. Instead what you get is {{a},{b},{c}}.
I realize that I could use Flatten[] to do this, but wondered if I
could avoid this.

The weird thing is (and this is in the notebook in my original post)
that if I evaluate {a,b,c}//MatrixForm, I get the familiar

(a)
(b)
(c)

which you would expect. But when I Copy the output, and Paste it as
input.

(a)
(b)
(c)

and evaluate THIS, I do get {a,b,c}, not {{a},{b},{c}}. This is what I
want. So, can't I make a button that will do this? What would the code
look like. I'm not too familiar with creating buttons.

--
David
->(Signature continues here)