Re: SetDirectory Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16986] Re: [mg16943] SetDirectory Problems
  • From: Jason Gill <jgill at vbimail.champlain.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:13:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jan,
    I have had similiar problems, specifically when a sub directory starts
with an n, t, or a numeric, but I am sure there are other cases.  As you may
know Mathematica has special symbols which it recognizes in a String.  For
example, \n represents a new line, or carriage return. As a result if you
have a sub directory \n* Mathematica interprets this as a newline, and as
such SetDirectory will not work.  The solution is to use a double backslash,
in front of these triggers, for example \n if replaced by \\n will work
fine.  I have typically learned (the hardway) which characters cause an
unexpected response, but with the use of double backslashes, have been able
to access all of my directories.
Hope that helps.
Jason