Re: Display (was: psfix)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17172] Re: Display (was: psfix)
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 23:53:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7f9iod$56i at smc.vnet.net>, hans.steffani at e-technik.tu-chemnitz.de (Hans Steffani) writes:

> The Helpbrowser says
>
> Display[channel, graphics, "format"] writes
>           graphics or sound in the specified format.
>
> but this does not work.
>
> But I found out that I should be
>
> Display[string, graphics, "format"] writes
>           graphics or sound in the specified format.
>
> with string being the filename of the graphic file.

What do you define as "does not work"?  An example of a channel is a
pipe, and this surely works on Unix versions of Mathematica.

If you have either PBMPlus or netPBM installed on your system,
try something like this:

Plot[Sin[x], {x,0,2Pi},
  DisplayFunction :> (
      Display["!pnmsmooth | ppmtogif > testme.gif", #, "PBM"]&)]

The plot is fed into psrender, which converts the graphic to a
portable bitmap.  It is then piped through two of the filter tools
from the above toolkits to create a somewhat blurred gif.

I believe that you can also use an OutputStream[] as a channel.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.			http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/