Evaluating Closed Cell Groups

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17215] Evaluating Closed Cell Groups
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:20:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathGroup,

I have a bug when evaluating closed cell groups, such as
initialization cells, which Wolfram claims they can't duplicate. Upon
certain subsequent actions the FrontEnd loses control of the window
and the printing becomes smeared out. Does anyone else have this
problem when running 3.0 under Windows 95?

Here is what causes the problem 100% of the time for me:
1) Create a new notebook.
2) Create a Section head.
3) Put any input statement under the section head, say 1+1.
4) Close the Section, select and evaluate the section.
5) Create a second Section and try one of the following actions.
    a) Type a command such as Solve and Ctrl-Shift-K.
    b) Or use the Input menu and Create Table/Matrix/Palette to create
a matrix.
        Then try to use the resulting matrix form.

After either of these actions the front end loses control of the
window. (There are other actions which also cause the problem.) If the
window is scrolled, the printing smears out. If the notebook is saved
and reopened it appears correct and the actions have been completed.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/