Counting list elements above/below a given value

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17202] Counting list elements above/below a given value
  • From: "W.W. Sampson" <w.sampson at umist.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:20:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wish to count the number of elements within a list above
a given value. I can do this using the following:

Length[Select[Flatten[listname], value > #1&]]

However, my list is a 280 x 280 matrix and consequently
this takes a while to evaluate. My guess is that there
must be something more efficient. I've tried:

Count[listname, value > #1&]

but the output given is 0, which I know to be incorrect.

Any ideas appreciated.

Bill