Re: Saving as Bitmaps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17213] Re: Saving as Bitmaps
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:20:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Vivek,

no - a bitmap is a bitmap. That what you call "quality" is
that Mathematicas PostScript is resulution independ.
You ma look the graphic on a 72 dpi screen or on a
1200 dpi laser printer output and always the result will
be as best as possible. The bitmap has a fixed resolution and
the only possibility to get a comparable result is to store a
extrem huge bitmap with a hight resolution. You can set the
ImageResolution option to Display[]

In[3]:=
Options[Display]

Out[3]=
{CharacterEncoding\[Rule]{},ImageOffset\[Rule]Automatic,
  ImageResolution\[Rule]Automatic,ImageRotated\[Rule]False,
  ImageSize\[Rule]Automatic}

to the value you need for printout (600 dpi ? 2400 dpi ?)
and buy a new hard drive to store all your images.

Hope that helps
  Jens