Re: Solving Eigenvalue Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17255] Re: Solving Eigenvalue Problems
  • From: Richard Bowman <rbowman at bridgewater.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 02:34:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks to Jens-Peer Kuska and others who responded to my question about
matrix diagonalization of quantum mechanical problems in Mathematica.

My problem was that my eyesight is not very good, but still I had no
excuse for not finding Eigen...[] in the Mathematica 3.0 book the first time I
looked. I did find it later. Now all I am wondering about is why the
solutions go from the largest to the smallest eigenvalue. (Just
nitpicking. <smile>) Really, Eigenvalues[] and Eigenvectors[] are just
what I needed!

Jens-Peer also wrote:

> My book (german) as well as
>
> Quantum Methods with Mathematica
>      James M. Feagin
>      (TELOS/Springer-Verlag, 1994)
>      ISBN 0-387-97973-5 (hardcover/482 pages)
>
> will give you several examples.

My German is way too rusty (my regrets), but I will have to check out the
book by Feagin.

Again, thanks.

Richard Bowman