Re: Wheel mouse under X.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19018] Re: Wheel mouse under X.
  • From: Bruno Daniel <bruno.daniel at>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:44:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Gadi and Paul

With the scwm window manager (it's similar to FVWM and can be
programmed in Lisp like Emacs. Download it for free on page, you can easily solve the problem this way
(in your .scwmrc file).

(bind-mouse 'window 4
            (lambda ()
              (if (wildcard-match? "XMathematica"
                  (send-key-press "Prior"
                                  (current-window-with-pointer) #t #t #t))
                         (send-button-press "4" #f #t #t)))
(bind-mouse 'window 5
            (lambda ()
              (if (wildcard-match? "XMathematica"
                  (send-key-press "Next"
                                  (current-window-with-pointer) #t #t #t)
                         (send-button-press "5" #f #t #t))))
This translates your scroll-events to PageUp or PageDown keypress
events when occuring over a Mathematica window.
You can do the same for other programs that cannot handle button-4
and button-5 events (the scroll wheel) by just generalizing the
wildcard match in the code above.

Yours sincerely

P.S. I set the following in my .Xresources file:

*XmGUIFileBox*XmTextField.baseTranslations: \
#override \n\
<Key>Tab: GUIFileBoxCompleteSelection()
since I'm used to pressing Tab for filename completion in the shell.