RE: Re: Packed Arrays in version 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19132] RE: [mg19082] Re: [mg18963] Packed Arrays in version 4
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:58:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

John Tanner has been trying to find a way to make it so that when a packed
array is multiplied by a complex number a packed array is returned.  He
wants make sure old notebooks that are somewhat large will take full
advantage of packed arrays without doing lots of manual editing.

John wrote:
---------------------------------------

It has been suggested to me by e-mail that using (N[I]*array) instead of
(I*array) solves the problem, and indeed I had found that
((I+0.0)*array) also solved the problem.  The real problem is that
multiplying a real array by I is so common in electronics/microwaves!  I
have many, many notebooks with many,many,many occurrences of this and I
do not want to start chasing them all down.  Thus I have a real
motivation for making this work as a redefinition of Times or
\[ImaginaryI].  A global redefinition of Global`I := N[System`I] (see my
reply to Bruno Daniel) is probably extremely risky!

I haven't worked out a solution, but you might
be able to make a function that would automatically
perform the necessary manipulation on an existing
notebook to say change (I) to (I+0.0) in all the right places.

How to perform a search and replace in a file is explained at:
http://support.wolfram.com/Kernel/Files/Replace.html

Regards,
Ted Ersek