Re: Can someone explain this?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg19150] Re: Can someone explain this?
- From: Bruno Daniel <bruno.daniel at hadiko.de>
- Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:58:51 -0400
- Organization: University of Karlsruhe
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi Benjamin Sin[x]/Cos[x] is simplified to Tan[x] whenever it occurs in an expression. You can prevent this by wrapping it with HoldForm: In:= x y Tan[x] + Tan[y] /. Tan[z_]->HoldForm[Sin[z]/Cos[z]] Out= x y Sin[x] / Cos[x] + Sin[y] / Cos[y] The expression Sin[x] / Cos[x] is then kept because it is in the Hold status. You can release all holds in an expression with ReleaseHold: In:= % // ReleaseHold Out = x y Tan[x] + Tan[y] Yourse sincerely Bruno